A lot of people have problems with this.
This error is caused not installed video driver or old version of DirectX.
First i recommend you to upgrade you to update DirectX, you can do this by downloading DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer.
If you don't know witch DirectX version you have
- Click on the Start button and select Run. (For Vista Users, press the Windows Key (the key with the Windows logo on your keyboard) + R (at the same time) and skip to step 3)
- In the Open: field type in dxdiag and click the OK button.
- When the DirectX Diagnostic Tool loads up you will see information about your computer. Near the bottom of the information should be the following field: DirectX Version: which will list what version you are currently running.
Second make sure that you have supported hardware
600 MHz processor
256 MB of RAM
32 MB 3D video card
DirectX® 8.1 compatible sound cardI think that you have 10x better hardware, but just to be sure ;)
Third update video drivers.
If you have ATI video card download drivers here.
If you have nVidia video card download drivers here.
If you have laptop/netbook check for drivers at manufacturers web site.
Also update sound drivers.
Disable then re-enable Direct 3D:
- Click Start (For Vista/7 Users, press the Windows Key (the key with the Windows logo on your keyboard) + R (at the same time) and skip to step 3)
- Click Run
- Type dxdiag and push Enter
- Select the Display tab
- Click the Disable button next to Direct3D Acceleration
- Click the Enable button next to Direct3D Acceleration and try the game again
If you are running Warcraft 3 on DirectX not supported hardware/software (like OS X and Linux) you should run Warcraft 3 in OpenGL mode.